Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs

On 12/01/06, Joe_Iraci@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The truth is that CD-R discs can fail in a 2 to 5 year lifetime, if:
> -very poor quality cheap brands are used -metal reflective layer is
> not gold -phthalocyanine dye is not used -recorded with a high error
> rate initially (because of recording speed too high or poor
> disc-burner compatibility) -poor storage conditions -poor handling
> -an unexpected disaster (fire,etc.)

It is not as easy as it should be to find or set the best speed for a
particular batch of CDs with a particular burner. There is no equivalent
of the test strip used for normal photographic proceses.

> However, if you follow all or at least some of the proper
> recommendations, longevity of CD-Rs will be quite high and will
> outlast the life of the technology.
>
> Audio CDs have been around since 1982 and CD-Rs since 1990. That means
> these information carriers are going on 24 and 16 years respectively
> without catastrophic loss of information. We know a lot more about
> these materials now, that we did a few years ago and there is no
> reason why good longevity is not attainable.

Manufactured CDs are much less likely to change than burned CDs.

> One final note, the argument that "So what if media lasts 100 years,
> you won't have the equipment to read it at that time." is a poor one.
> First of all, no one knows for sure what can or cannot be done in 100
> years. I would think that technology would be quite far advanced and
> therefore, I wouldn't rule out the fact that CDs could be read in the
> future.

Including CDs that cannot be read with standard players today.

> However, the most important point is that media life should
> not be the reason why information is lost. It should not be the weak
> link in the system. It should outlast the technology to read it. Then
> all you need to worry about is technology life. Therefore, you should
> choose media that has the greatest lifetime, even though 100 years may
> seem outrageous, to ensure this is the case.

The problem is to balance medium life against storage space and cost.

Otherwise, I would advise 78 rpm discs made of solid gold.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx