Re: [ARSCLIST] Sound card recommendations

Charles Lawson wrote:
steven c <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Keep in mind that when assembling sound recordings intended for the
public,

about 99.9% of that demographic has no particular interest in the fine

points of sound quality/accuracy...

This may be true, but it is no reason for us to lower our standards. We're not going to solve the problem by contributing to it.

Chas.

I am struck by the persistence of such a position on this list. It is both admirable and questionable. Admirable since it does represent a nobility of purpose and a commitment to quality; questionable since it neglects real issues of limited resources: time, funds, skills.

Even if those limits were not imposed, the fact that material is being created today which requires archiving suggests that the purist approach may be impractical; it can lead to preserving less and less of what one hopes to retain lthat that that portion will be superbly enshrined.

I say "enshrined" deliberately since it does suggest separation from the surrounding masses, isolation from the interests of the overwhelming majority. Again, I mean no offense; it is appropriate that treasures be protected from contamination. But that isolation may make such preservation irrelevant to the many who ultimately determine the allocation of resources.

There is an issue of purpose underlying the questions here and I know that my own purpose - making a portion of our audio heritage available to all - is not that of many in this group. But if I were to work to the standards suggested here, I could do only a tiny fraction of what I have been able to accomplish. I might do it very well (assuming that I acquired the tools and, most important, the skills), but it would be of little overall value to my goal.

MIke
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/