Re: [ARSCLIST] Risk assessment tool Q2

At 03:45 PM 1/5/2006, Steven Smolian wrote:
My experienes are centered around cassette tape ageing and abuse. I do a fair amount of rehousing in the course of the year.

I should mention that I, too, do a lot of reshelling. I do it with C-0s and never open the new shell.

The other issue is figuring out if Dolby B or the like was used.

Have you figured out a way to do this other than by ear? I wish there had been a notch or slider like for tape type.

Micros present special problems as well. The tape is fragile indeed and I've never done a successful shell transplant- not enough hands. If it was important enough, I could probably rig up a jig to hold one part while I'm dealing with others.

All my microcassette transfers are re-shelled to standard C-0s and I then use the Dragons which perform well. I just picked up my 6th Dragon in State College PA yesterday.

That said, they are probably the most stable of the tape formats, long term.

Really? Better than reels from the same time frame?

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aurora, Ontario, Canada http://www.richardhess.com/