Re: [ARSCLIST] Risk assessment tool Q2

At 02:14 PM 1/5/2006, you wrote:

First, one P.S. about the first set of questions: Here the tapes which died of stickiness (backing adhered to oxide and pulled it off, causing dropouts or total loss of signal) were Ampex 406, the most common type of tape to have shown SSS here.

Comments on Set 2 are below.

Best, Richard

Hi,

The second set of questions that I am looking for help with relate to
audio cassettes.

1. What problems are encountered in transferring cassettes? How does
deterioration manifest with cassettes?

Stickiness, broken splices to leader or breaks at hub attachments, loss of pads, twisted tape, dirt and junk on tape.

2. Does the audio signal on a cassette deteriorate in any way over time?
[I have heard it suggested, for example, that the signal to noise ratio
gets comparatively worse over time on a cassette (compared to open reel)
but have not seen any data]

My experience is the same as yours.

3. Do Type IV (metal) tapes exhibit any problems not found on other
types? Do chromium dioxide tapes deteriorate faster than ferric oxide?
[this has been suggested by one report]

I've heard the same but have no experience, partly because I've always been warned against using Type IV's.

4. Have you noticed any brand-related problems?

No.

5. Have you noticed any age-related problems?

Only the obvious: the older the dryer, the more loss of lubricant, the greater the chance of missing pads ...

6. Problems with C-120s are well-known. Any similar problems with C-90
or C-100s?

No experience with C-100's; no problems with C-90's.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Mike

Mike Casey
Associate Director for Recording Services
Archives of Traditional Music
Indiana University

micasey@xxxxxxxxxxx
(812) 855-8090