[ARSCLIST] Risk assessment tool Q2

Hi,

The second set of questions that I am looking for help with relate to
audio cassettes.

1. What problems are encountered in transferring cassettes? How does
deterioration manifest with cassettes?

2. Does the audio signal on a cassette deteriorate in any way over time?
[I have heard it suggested, for example, that the signal to noise ratio
gets comparatively worse over time on a cassette (compared to open reel)
but have not seen any data]

3. Do Type IV (metal) tapes exhibit any problems not found on other
types? Do chromium dioxide tapes deteriorate faster than ferric oxide?
[this has been suggested by one report]

4. Have you noticed any brand-related problems?

5. Have you noticed any age-related problems?

6. Problems with C-120s are well-known. Any similar problems with C-90
or C-100s?

Again, many thanks for your help.

Mike

Mike Casey
Associate Director for Recording Services
Archives of Traditional Music
Indiana University

micasey@xxxxxxxxxxx
(812) 855-8090