From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List on behalf of Casey, Michael T
Sent: ti 03.01.2006 15:20
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Risk assessment tool

Hi,

I am further developing a risk assessment tool for ranking field audio
collections by their preservation condition and level of risk they
carry. The tool is called FACET and was presented first at the ARSC
pre-conference workshop last year. I have formulated a few
format-related questions, with help from Richard Hess and Steve Smolian,
and hope to draw upon the collective expertise assembled here. The first
set of questions concern sticky shed syndrome tapes:

1. Given that there is a known, easy cure for sticky shed (baking) that
is nearly always successful, how concerned are you about tapes with this
condition?

2. Is there any evidence that sss tapes actively continue to deteriorate
over time in such a way as to compromise future transfer?

3. If you had to choose between preservation transfer of an sss tape or
a curling acetate-based tape or an audio cassette from the 1970s, which
would you choose and why?

Many thanks!

Mike

Mike Casey
Associate Director for Recording Services
Archives of Traditional Music
Indiana University

(812) 855-8090

Co-chair, ARSC Technical Committee