Re: [ARSCLIST] Pirated Mengelberg 78s

stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> [...]

Something I'd have thought possible until a couple of hours ago (see the note
about Beethoven's Eroica being the Schuricht recording from September 1941).
It's POSSIBLE that it was issued quickly and on sale in New York stores before
Pearl Harbor, I suppose.

> Interestingly enough, I just ran across a later Varsity that used two
> Three Suns sides previously issued on Majestic...under their original
> T-* matrix numbers, yet!

And I'll bet they sound infinitely better than their original Majestic
incarnations! Those later Varsity reissues sometimes were better transfers from
the original lacquers than had been done at first. I have some Louis Primas on
Varsity that sound great (and even better on Canadian Compo pressings),
especially compared with the ghastly Majestic originals.

Those "3 Suns" recordings appeared on every imaginable label..including
Philharmonic.

dl