[ARSCLIST] Pseudo mono (was Re: [ARSCLIST] 101 strings collection up for grabs LA area)

Steven Smolian wrote:
Vox also pretended to have mono issues that turned out to be stereo.

Steve Smolian

They were not unique. Westminster did the same with some classical titles; I recently digitized an opera (Prokofiev's Flaming Angel) because a stereo version was required. Yup, the package said monaural.

I believe there were quite a few such in the late 1950s. For the limited monaural market (to save the $1 per disc), it was not worth making separate masters. Separate labels and covers were affordable.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/