Re: [ARSCLIST] 101 strings collection up for grabs LA area

Vox also pretended to have mono issues that turned out to be stereo.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2005 9:23 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] 101 strings collection up for grabs LA area

Is the collection JUST the 101 Strings or everything the label put out? Lots of
Monty Kelly and the Ray Charles Singers from when the label was Essex (ditto the
early Bill Haley stuff), Skip Martin's Scheherajazz, a decent Coq d'Or conducted by
Hugo Rignold and lots more.

In the late 60s when mono LPs were being sold off at giveaway prices, I picked up a
few 101 Strings albums and was amazed to discover later that for a number of
issues, they'd never bothered to cut mono masters..just put mono labels and covers
on them. Well before "compatible stereo". (Everest did the same thing with its
Archive of Piano Series, by the way.)

dl

Karl Miller wrote:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Eric Goldberg wrote:

> I don't believe that there are 1,500 different 101 Strings titles.
> Maybe 150,  making this collection of duplicates large enough to
> solve all your holiday gift giving problems, for those friends that
> you no longer want.

Ok, I will confess, I collect them. How could such a thing happen? During
my college days I found one in a second hand store for 25 cents. I suppose
I could claim some sort of pretentious jibberish about it being some sort
of academic research, but I found it became an interest I carried with me.
Some of the records did indeed feature some significant musicians, Nelson
Riddle, Les Baxter, et al.

While I know little of the history, I believe the founder was another
Miller, no relationship to me. I read somewhere a quote from him, "I am
not in the music business, I'm in the plastics business..." or something
like that.

The original label, I believe,  was Somerset. Some of the releases were
under other labels like Oscar. I have encountered pressings from Mexico,
England, etc.

I should add that I called the number provided and made them an offer
for the discs.

As far as I know the catalog was bought out and the label continued under the
name Alshire. I have approximately 300 releases which include titles on
Alshire, Somerset and Oscar. When I called I found out that the owner had
passed away. I spoke with his son. It seems they continued in business by
selling licenses to other companies. The collection contains 2 or 3 copies
of every disc they (I am assuming Alshire) issued. There could be as many
as 200 distinct issues, plus boxed sets, and according to his son, all of
those discs issued under license. He estimated anywhere from 1,500 to
3,000 discs. They are in the process of shutting down the business.

For me, they represent a bit the of history of American Music. Latanza in
his book "Elevator Music" makes mention of them.

I suggested that the family consider donating the files of the company to
an archive. If I end up getting the discs, they will eventually end up in
an archive...assuming I can ever find an archive interested in my
collection...I have already rewritten my will once...and yes, I have lots
more than 101 strings...

By the way, I also collect 101 strings wanna be releases...102 Strings,
1,000,000 strings, 1001 Strings, etc.

So right in there with about 7,000 reels and 3,000 cassettes, 500 or so 16 inch
discs of broadcasts of classical music one can find my 101 strings
collection.

As I reflect on what seems to be the continuing decline of interest in
classical music, I sense my 101 strings records might end up being the
"gold" in my collection. As I think about it...not that I collect to
impress anyone...if I told someone I have things like a 1930s NBC Symphony
broadcast of the music of Johh Hausserman...who will care, but at least with
101 strings, you can get some name recognition.

Karl