Re: [ARSCLIST] 101 strings collection up for grabs LA area

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, David Lennick wrote:

> Is the collection JUST the 101 Strings or everything the label put out? Lots of
> Monty Kelly and the Ray Charles Singers from when the label was Essex (ditto the
> early Bill Haley stuff), Skip Martin's Scheherajazz, a decent Coq d'Or conducted by
> Hugo Rignold and lots more.

As far as I know, it is everything issued on Alshire. I don't know if it
contains a complete run of Somerset, Oscar, etc.

He also mention that there were some box sets. Most of the box sets I
already have were on Somerset.

I also wonder if the company maintained the scores and parts for all of
the arrangements they recorded. I mentioned this to a conductor friend of
mine and suggested a pops concert of 101 strings arrangements! He thought
it would be a good idea.

It seems odd to me that the company would be closing down when it would
appear that there is still enough interest in their recordings, as
evidenced in the number of CDs issued under their license.

I haven't heard back from them and fear they might have had a better
offer.

Stay tuned.

Karl