Re: [ARSCLIST] voice recognition software

Brandon,

Questions about speech-to-text are probably the second most common queries I get after things like: "so, tell me why I shouldn't record interviews using an iPod?" Voice recognition software, and Dragon Naturally Speaking in particular, has been discussed a lot on the H-Net Oral History List, and you can search their archives for the many discussions about it there:

http://www.h-net.org/~oralhist/

My opinion is similar to yours and that expressed by Ms. Hostetter, and to my memory most of the folks who posted to the H-Net list feel the same. Plus, I'd rather keep a human being employed and thankfully we budget to do so.

As far as other options for transcription, there are two software programs out there designed to work with digital audio files that I'm familiar with:

Start Stop
http://www.startstop.com/home.asp

Express Scribe.
http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/

Start Stop at least used to cost around $200 and comes with a serial or USB foot pedal. Express Scribe is a free download and you need to buy a foot pedal if you want one.

We've used Start Stop for several years now and it's been terrific--all the functionality of a cassette-based transcription machine transferred into the digital domain. I send our transcriptionist CD-RW discs with the audio files on them, she transcribes the interview, returns the discs and I wipe and reuse them.

Many people in the Oral History world use Express Scribe and love it as well.

As far as field recorders go, we've been using Marantz PMD670s for a while now, perhaps going on two years, and we picked up a few of the PMD660s over the summer. The pre-amps on both units are noisy, which is their main drawback from my perspective. However, match the recorder with the right mic ("right" for these things means "self-powered condenser" or in the least a condenser--according to Marantz) and you'll do better. I've had pretty good results with the PMD660 and an AT813a running on a battery. I chose the AT813a primarily for cost reasons. If you've got more to spend, get a sharper mic. Heck, if you've got more to spend buy a Fostex FR2 or a Sound Devices 722. Or a decent field mic-pre.

With the PMD670 we continue to use our trusty 421IIs--noisy, but ok.

We've been doing 16/48 mono recording using the machines and for most purposes they've been pretty darn good.

I maintain a webpage on field recording equipment for use in ethnographic and oral history interviewing:

http://www.vermontfolklifecenter.org/res_audioequip.htm

I plug it every chance I get.

Best,

andy