Re: [ARSCLIST] electronic reading of physical media, was: Preservation policy question

Why not a really good set of horn speakers. Yes, some people don't use the words "good" and "horn speakers" in the same sentence, but when done right, they are very much like the ideal speaker (unless they say: It sure was good to get rid of those horn speakers). They are an impedance matching device between cone/diaphragm and the room, just like what a gramophone horn does for the machine playing back the disk acoustically. They have a bad name because they were made so cheaply for PA use. And, with horns, any distortion created by the electronics are seemingly much more obvious with horns (versus dynamic drivers). I'm working on a complete Altec A4 VOTT horn system right now, but don't know where I'll be able to put it. And you need a proper cartridge and EQ curve, which is where I think most electrical playback falls way short. It's really hard to get the curve just right and pick the best stylus tip.
Phillip
----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Miller" >
Of course, the weak link, from my perspective, still being speakers, which
do not vibrate in the same way as instruments...I am reminded of a
fascinating visit I had about two weeks ago with a research scientist on
our faculty. He has worked for 40 years with microbial cellulose. One
application we discussed was the use of the material for audio playback.
He has already been working with Sony. They have developed a pair of
headphones...cost, about $2,500. I thought of a cellulose wall of sound,
not unlike the idea of a large electrostatic speaker system, with the
difference being that the cellulose would not break up like mylar when it
came to handling the bass frequencies...and continuing the day
dreaming...having recordings where each instrument would have its own
microphone and the reproduction characteristics of the various part of the
cellulose being adjusted to replicate the manner of the original vibrating
medium...eg, string and sound board of a violin. But then, why go to the
trouble when most people are happy with an MP3.