Re: [ARSCLIST] message board vs. listserv

I hate msg boards. You have to go to them and check them out to see if there is anything new. These msgs come to me and I can read them at my leisure, or erase the ones that don't interest me. Jack

----- Original Message ----- From: "Angie Dickinson Mickle" <angie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 8:44 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] message board vs. listserv

Here's a vote for a message board!

Threads on Message boards *are* easier to follow. You can skip threads that don't interest you. And there's no more cleaning out the inbox (or assigned inbox folder).

Angie Dickinson Mickle
www.avocadoproductions.com

Brandon Burke wrote:
All,

Curious as to how many list members might prefer a message board format over the standard email listserv currently in place. Message boards make more sense to me for the following reasons:

1. Generally speaking, it is difficult to browse the ARSClist archives. Especially if a topic began in one month but continued into the next, as the two parts tend to become divorced from one another.

2. With a message board, one can view both the original topic/question/etc and all subsequent responses in one fell swoop, something that comes in particularly handy when performing searches in the archives. As it stands now, all posts in the archives must be viewed individually, losing much narrative/conversational flow along the way.

3. When a list member changes the name of a thread in mid-conversation, subsequent posts again become divorced from the original topic.

4. Let's be honest, on chatty days, the in-box traffic can get a little overwhelming...especially for those of us NOT taking part in a particular conversation.

For the record: Yes, I'm aware of the *digest* option...seems to me, the only grievance it solves is item #4.

thanks as always, Brandon

Brandon Burke
Assistant Archivist for Audiovisual Collections
Hoover Institution Archives
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-6010
voice: 650.724.9711