Re: [ARSCLIST] Siegfried Borries and Johannes Schüler

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:

> For my first post to this board,I am asking about  a record I bought on e
Bay ,in October,the item number is 4782451056,and  can be searched as such.
This is an outstanding recording,of the  Beethoven Romance,in F,performed by
a violinist,named Siegfried  Borries,and The Berlin Philharmonic,conducted,by
Johannes Schuller.This  is on Electrola DB 4661.Does anybody know anthing
about these two men ?  I cannot find anything.

Siegfried Borries, b.Mar. 10, 1912, Munster; d. Aug. 12, 1980, Berlin;
concertmaster of the Berlin Philharmonic

You can check Creighton, J. Discopaedia of the violin.

Not to be confused with Siegfried Borris, composer (studied with
Hindemith), musicologist (studied with Arnold Schering) b. Nov.
4, 1906; d. Aug. 23, 1987.

Johannes Schuler b. Vietz Neumark June 21, 1894; D. Berlin Oct 3, 1966.
Studied at the Berlin Hochschule fur Musik. From 1936-1949 he conducted at
the Berlin  State Opera and  from 1949-1960 was music director in
Hannover.

Source: Baker's Biographical dictionary of 20th Century Classical
Musicians.

Karl