Re: [ARSCLIST] Acostic playback

I assume y'all listen to "The Antique Phonograph Music Program" ,on WFMU?

Mike Richter <mrichter@xxxxxxx> wrote:  Steven Smolian wrote:
>  Karl's point about playing acoustic records back through the acoustic  machines on which they were intend to be heard is a good one. However,  there are two arguments that torpedo it.
>
> First is that  what we hear is the sum of distortion introduced not only by the  playback horn and chain (tapered arm, etc.) but also that of the one or  ones used for recording as well as the characteristics of the recording  device. The latter is, mostly unknowable at this stage. It's the old  issue of problems being of a different magnitude where energy changes  occur rather than where they are amplified.
>
> The other  is that there was no mathematical understanding of the nature of horns  until the theory of matched impedance was uncovered in 1923 and  exploited in the design of the acoustical Orthophonic machines in 1924  (actual dates may vary by a year- I don't have my research data to  hand.) Before then, all was guesswork- an "art" which led to varying  degrees of subjective sonic accuracy until then, none satisfactory, to  these ears.
>
> Steve Smolian

Several years ago, I posted at my WWW site a demonstration of playback
using modern equipment and using my Columbia Phonola console. The latter
was done with a variety of needles (steel, plastic, thorn) and with the
pickup microphone at two distances from the player. The others were of
conventional recording from the original disc and from two transfers to LP.

There is little question that ideal playback on the console had markedly
different qualities from those of any of the modern approaches. All that
one can say with confidence is that the sound from the console at its
best was an ideal the publisher expected from the best equipment at the
time of release. There is no way to say which is most accurate relative
to the recorded performance.

I think it unlikely that the publishers even considered accuracy an
issue in acoustic recording. There would be little point to that
considering the effects of the artificial recording environment;
fidelity was not approachable, so was unlikely to be sought.

While listening through the console was a very satisfying experience, it
had the drawbacks of damage to the disc and of sensitivity to room
acoustic. There was a series of recordings on Nimbus under the title
Prima Voce in which the recording was played on an excellent console in
a large room to exploit room acoustics. A few discs showed superb
results but most were muddied, some hopelessly.

If there's interest, I can re-post the page for those curious about the
results. It provides yet another demonstration of the variations induced
in transferring/digitizing historic materials. Much more of the result
depends on the transfer engineer than one would hope.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/