Re: [ARSCLIST] Other memorable record stores

Dnjchi@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 12/10/2005 5:34:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> > There were great surplus electronics places in Toronto..I remember when
> > Teltronics on Yonge Street had piles of World Transcriptions for a quarter a
> > pop
> > in 1964. Bought the Jan Peerce (Paul Robinson) one and a few others there.
> > If
> > I'd been older and wiser I'd have bought all of 'em. I know one collector
> > who
> > found a ton of original 16" Goon Show transcriptions at that place.
> >

> While at our college radio station we received a set of Goon Shows on 12" LP
> 'transcriptions.'  I dubbed them all onto tape.
> Don Chichester

These were 16" coarse groove discs, from the International Service...relatively
unedited compared to the 12" microgroove pressings that came along in the sixties.
I transferred them about 10 years ago. The Beeb has put out two large sets of Goon
Shows (20 double sets, 4 shows per set) although they included some clinkers, but
there's still a lot more Goonery to be mined. And the CD issues are as unedited as
it's been possible to get, so all the politically incorrect dialogue you think you
remember from 1958 is restored (Ellington, don't stand over there, you'll ruin the
colour scheme!).

dl