Re: [ARSCLIST] disc extraction info

Lani Spahr wrote:
--- Bob Conrad <bob618@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Although I use a PlexWriter 8/2/20, I have found the Plextor
software to be unreliable and last year switched to EAC (Exact Audio Copy),
which is slow and time-consuming, but has proven to be reliable in all
respects.

I agree with everything Bob said except that I don't find EAC to be
slow or time-consuming. I think it's a great little product.

EAC *is* slow - by design. It reads each sector twice in its quest for exactness and therefore does not achieve the speed of other programs. It is not for those who want quick-and-dirty extraction, but neither is it painfully slow unless it finds errors. In that case, it slows down to extract more often and more precisely until it either gets what it believes is valid information (and has always been correct in that in my experience) or gives up. If frustrated, it reports at the end of the task the location and type of error for you to handle however you wish.

There is a Yahoo! group for EAC. Although the programmer is no longer a frequent visitor, he feeds back through it when needed.

Incidentally, the price is right for EAC. It is "cardware": Andre asks for a postcard if you like it. We prevailed upon him a couple of years ago to move a bit farther toward being compensated, so there is a PayPal account which accepts contributions.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/