Re: [ARSCLIST] Devistating conclusions about copyright-CLIR pub 135

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Steven Smolian wrote:

> The new CLIR report, "Copyright Issues Relevant to Digital Preservation" etc for libraries and archives just came on line.  The hard copy version,  publication 135, may not be available yet.
>
> It's by June M. Besek and it's devestating.
>
> The implication is that its even more so for private collectors.
>
> http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub135/contents.html
>
> Steve Smolian, grinch

Thanks for sharing this information. You are not the grinch...unless one
believes in the old notion of taking things out on the messenger...I don't
believe in that notion.

While I believe there can be something said for, "it is better left to
one's imagination..." the publications initiated by the National Recording
Preservation Board are as significant as the Pickett/Lemcoe study.

I guess we can only hope that the weight of the venue of these publications
will have the desired effect on those empowered to change the letter of
the law. One of my fantasies is a set of Congressional hearings on this
and related subjects, like the right of the public to access information.

Karl