Re: [ARSCLIST] obituary - Franz Jolowicz, Discophile NYC

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Peter Hirsch wrote:

> I saw the obit for Franz (I never knew he had a last name, he was always
> simply Franz and all my record hound buddies 30 some years ago knew who
> you were referring to when you said "Franz") online and it had quite an
> impact on me. First of all, the owner of an independent record store
> specializing in imports and obscure domestic label getting a NY Times
> obit is worth remarking on. But, more than that, I was brought back to
> an era when my universe included the Record Hunter, unnamed second hand
> stores on 4th Avenue where you could graze endlessly through 25¢ bins of
> 78s, that place on 43rd Street near 5th Ave. (name eludes me for the
> moment).

Are you talking about Music Masters? It was my home away from home. Willy
Lerner, who ran the place, was quite a guy. He too got an obit in the
Times. I spent many an hour there and met many collectors and spent just
about every penny I had to my name. Back in the late 60s there were so
many great shops like the bargain shop at Sam Goody's, Willy had all of
those wonderful in house tapes. You could go to a concert at Philharmonic
or Carnegie Hall or the Met and the next day, buy a tape of the concert.

By the way, I always wondered if the Carnegie Hall Recording Corporation
maintained copies of what they recorded and what might have happened to
what they had when they closed their doors. I have several NY Phil
performances they recorded, and considering the microphone placement, the
sound was quite decent. Anyone know more of the history of what might have
happened to them?

Karl