From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Karl Miller
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 9:56 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape Speed resolver question

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Scott Phillips wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> Are you quite certain that the sync tone you hear isn't tape based
> automation data instead ? In that era, up through the early '80's, a
> number of consoles did it that way, disk based systems being still in
> the infant stage....
>
> Scott

I guess it was about 1979 or so when our recording studio (at the
University of Arizona) acquired a 24 track machine and a digitally
controlled mixing board. The extra track(s) were control tracks for the
mixer. As I recall, the information on those control tracks were
specific to the mixer we were using at the time.

Karl