Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation policy question

At 9:42 AM -0500 12/8/05, Ganesh.Irelan@xxxxxxxx wrote:

My question is whether to keep the 300+ analog tapes we have.

here's an excerpt from this link, to Michael Gerzon's piece on this issue:

http://www.waves.com/german/htmls/service/faq/dont.html

<znip>

1b. Reasons for destroying masters.

The reason why master recordings are destroyed is a combination of two factors: 1) The storage of master recordings is often expensive, both in terms of cost of space and manpower, and of the cost of maintaining optimum storage conditions (temperature, humidity, etc.). 2) There is a widespread belief, which this article will show to be wholly unfounded, that modern digital transcription technology is practically perfect, so that it is wrongly believed that the digital transcription is virtually as good as the original master.

In fact, as we shall see, there is every reason to believe that future technologies will be able to recover a much more accurate sound from the original masters than can current transcription technologies, and we shall go into some detail about what this information in the master is and how it will be used in the future.

1c. An awful warning

This belief that modern transcription technology is practically perfect is not a new one, and there are past awful warnings about how historical material can be lost. By way of a typical example, during the 1960's and 1970's, whenever historical 78 rpm material was remastered onto analogue tape for commercial release by some major record companies, the original master parts were then destroyed, unknown at the time to the remastering engineers involved - who of course were aware of how compromised the transcription was with available technology. The result is that it is not now possible to remaster to digital from the original masters, meaning that this material has the extra drop-out, modulation noise, flutter and other losses inherent in the analogue tape technology used but not inherent in the original 78 rpm medium.

Also, as recent revelations about the chemical self-destructing properties of certain master-tape media used around 10 years ago has made clear, newer storage media cannot be guaranteed to have good archival storage properties, and this is very true of most known digital storage media, where the risk of an unrecoverable loss of digits beyond the powers of error correction is very real, especially for media such as DAT that are pushing storage technology to its limits.
1d. Alternatives

There are alternatives to destroying the original masters if the cost of storage is too high. One is to deposit master recordings into national or charitably funded archive organisations, such as the National Sound Archives in the UK. The National Sound Archives, in particular, has a rigorous policy for preventing breaches of copyright of material in its hands.

<znip>

--
w/best regards,
seva