Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3 bit rates and usage factors for Web pages

seva wrote:
At 5:53 PM -0500 12/6/05, Tom Fine wrote:

I have not had good results with LAME -- it's slow
and the sound is not great on my Windows boxes, with various front-ends
tried.

LAME is optimized for 128. anything below that and it's terrible.

1. Recent versions (in the past year or so) are reasonably good at lower rates.

2. LAME optimization is for 11:1 compression, hence 128 Kbps for CD-DA. But I believe we are speaking here of single-channel, so 96 Kbps corresponds to 192 for stereo and is well above your threshold.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/