[ARSCLIST] Audio tape crystals

Hello,

This is the latest joy I'd like to share with you all.

http://www.richardhess.com/tape/tape_crystal.jpg

I just received a 3" reel of 1/4" tape from one of my clients and there were a few whitish "crystals" on it. The one in the photo is about 42 mils across--th overall top-to-bottom of the photo is about 50 mils (0.05 inches). There are several others, but this is the largest. I did a little scratching at the surface as you can see from the photo.

This tape had been stored in Trinidad and now Beatty Nevada inside a mobile home.

Anyone have any thoughts about this and what damage it might be doing to the tape and what would be the procedure for unwinding it.

In case you are interested, the photo chain was an old AO-Spencer microscope with a 3.2X objective and a 10x eyepiece lens and a Nikon D100 on a microscope mount. The illumination was from a 5W Luxeon LED in a Surefire L4 flashlight. The JPEG is a 1/4 linear (1/16 area) reduction of the original raw file.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aurora, Ontario, Canada http://www.richardhess.com/