Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3 bit rates and usage factors for Web pages

----- Original Message -----
From: <Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx>
> I suppose it depends on the purpose of maintaining an archive; of
preserving
> historical materials at all. If it is regarded as a valuable collection
and
> potential revenue source, certainly access must be restricted. With
present day
> technology, once it is out of the vault, it can be everywhere.
>
> However if the purpose is to preserve and spread knowledge, then the
> propagation and free distribution of the material is serving the purpose.

Well, I suspect I might have problems selling access to my collection
of the recorded works of Homer Rodeheaver (which I can do, but not to
US customers!)...

> Knowledge must be force fed to most people. That is why school attendance
is
> required by law. Money to do this is generally provided by taxes and
private
> grants. More and more institutions are putting their materials online as
part
> of their fundamental mandate.

Those wishing to provide me private grants are encouraged to contact
me via e-mail, telephone, the postal service, or by slipping a note
under my door (which the cat may eat?)...

> One danger in commercializing an archive is that people with special
> interests in a political or technical will be quite willing to pay a
substantial
> amount for an excerpt to use in a documentary supporting their cause. If
access to
> the original documents is restricted, there is no opportunity for the
public
> to see the context of the excerpt or study associated materials.

On the other hand, I can think of a number of records I own that might
be of more than passing interest to various right-wing forces...?