Re: [ARSCLIST] 78rpm EQ and postprocessing

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Scott Phillips wrote:

> Must be my +50 age showing. It just doesn't show any reverence for the
> original artist or recording...

I don't mean to split hairs, but, ok, I will split some hairs.  I see a
difference between the recording and the artist.

It seems to me that the ultimate reverence for the artist was in the hands of
the original recording engineer. Yes, I do believe we have a duty
to represent that work as honestly as possible. We do the best we can, and
we do what we think is "right."

For me, the very process of playback is subjective. As it becomes
electricity, it becomes electronic music.

I guess we can try for an "absolute" when it comes to transfers, but it
seems to me to do so is problematic. For me, both flat transfers and
restoration are "memorex" and involve subjectivity. For me, those
aesthetic decisions are difficult and I have been known to produce as many
as 30 different "masters" before I am pleased with one of them. On
occasion I have returned to something a year later and, as a test for
myself, I redo the entire process. It never sounds the same as what
pleased me the first time I worked on it. I am reminded of Ward Marston
revisiting Caruso...and, many musicians who revisit repertoire producing a
different interpretation.

And, on the other hand, when you are looking for a "good review" honesty
is not always the best policy. I can elaborate if needed...but I sense
many of you will understand my comment.

Karl (another of the 50+ group)