Re: [ARSCLIST] Loss of Lubricant - note from Marie

Marie O'Connell asked me to forward this to the list as she cannot post from her home email address.

Marie: The seminar went well. Thanks for asking.

From Marie:

Thank you Richard, by the way I hope your seminar went well.  And, I am very
glad that your students didn't bring any of the offending tapes!

I am currently working from home as I've had a total knee replacement....now I
am bionic, with plastic and titanium.

I am happy to send pictures of my setup that I had in New Zealand and
information about my Isopropyl Drip method (with special secrets, kept as that,
special secrets!)

My offending tapes have been Scotch, AGFA, Pyral, and more!  You can never
trust
the box that a tape is in.  I came from Radio New Zealand Sound Archives/Nga
Taonga Korero, and radio broadcasters had a habit of grabbing just any tape
available to them.  So, they may have made the recording in 1995 but, the tape
was already 25 years old!

Some archives that I have been to have a habit of changing their boxes, which
is
a good idea if they are put into archival acid-free boxes.  But, they have not
recorded what the boxes were or information that was contained on the original
box. This makes it a challenge for the archivist, but I love a good challenge!

Cheers
Marie O'Connell
Sound Archivist/Sound Consultant
The Center for Oral History & Cultural Heritage
The University of Southern Mississippi

Richard L. Hess richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aurora, Ontario, Canada http://www.richardhess.com/