Re: [ARSCLIST] History help needed

  Regarding Tom Fine's message about the use of stairwells and bathrooms as
reverb chambers until the '60s, I used to read that Peter Bartok used his tiled
bathroom for his still-excellent-sounding mono recordings. The most famous
example of the use of stairwells may be Ormandy's first, circa 1947,
Philadelphia recording of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade. It was issued on 78s and an
early Columbia LP (ML 4089). On some editions of the LP (but not the first ones
or the 78s), at one point one can hear a dog barking. The story I've heard is
that Columbia was using a stairwell to add reverb in the early '50s, that the
stairwell went down to street level, the dog barked outside the door while the
tape was being re-worked, no one was paying attention, and it was issued.

  Don Tait