Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright of treasures

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Brooks" <Tbroo@xxxxxxx>
(www.jamespurnell.labour.co.uk)
> has said that he will push this during his EU term in 2006.
All you really need to know to understand why this is happening is one
simple fact!
Starting next year, the first recordings of Elvis Presley fall into the
public
domain in the EU and here in Canada...and Sony/BMG starts to lose their firm
grip on one of their most profitable "cash cows!"

There is one important question, though. How would it be possible to make
copyright term changes retroactive? Considering that the material had once
been in the public domain, the obvious defense would be that the transfer
had been made when the material was p.d. and was thus entirely legal!