[ARSCLIST] Fwd: Digital Document Quarterly v4 #3 is available C

Dr. Henry Gladney just mailed this out...you might find some of the papers in this and previous issues of interest.

Enjoy!

Richard

See DDQ 4(3) at <http://home.pacbell.net/hgladney/ddq_4_3.htm>http://home.pacbell.net/hgladney/ddq_4_3.htm

The CLIR/RLG Task Force that stimulated most subsequent digital preservation thinking completed and published its deliberations ten years ago.(?) It?s time to assess progress on each of its recommendations. This DDQ number identifies some progress made, but identifies critical recommendations for which there might have been activity without any significant progress. See the DDQ list of I/T terms that includes ?churn?.

For the eventual benefit of the Computer History Museum (CHM), I have been compiling an institutional repository requirements statement. This was partly stimulated by some members? comments favoring eventual CHM adoption of DSpace as infrastructure for its planned cyber-museum?enthusiasm over the roughly 100 other extant content management software offerings. Since I could identify little reason for such favoritism, I studied DSpace and Greenstone (the latter less deeply). What I learned is that the DSpace team is promoting its work more effectively than any other open source repository software team. However, I also learned that what it says about digital preservation support represents an intention more than a description of any implementation available for inspection.

From considering this and other instutional repository work identified in recent reports (?), I have the impression that much software development work featuring ?digital preservation? in its description is addressing primarily the same topics that we called ?content management? five years ago. This DDQ number suggests why it might be so.

The DDQ 4(3) table of contents includes: The Meaning of ?Digital Preservation?

Digital Preservation in Institutional Repositories

Requirements for an Institutional Repository

Ten Years after the Seminal Report (?)

Information Technology's Dirty Words

Recommendations of 3 news reports, 5 books, and 3 web sites as worthwhile reading, and

The usual section on practical aspects of personal computing.

? Garrett, John. Waters, Donald. Andre, P.Q.C. Besser, H. Elkington, N. Gladney, H.M. Hedstrom, M. Hirtle, P.B. Hunter, K. Kelly, D. Kresh, Lesk, M. Levering, M.B. Lougee, W. Lynch, C. Mandel, C. Mooney, S.B. Okerson, A. Neal, J.G. Rosenblatt, S. Weibel, S. <http://www.rlg.org/ArchTF/>Preserving Digital Information: Report of the Task Force on Archiving of Digital Information, commissioned by The Commission on Preservation and Access and The Research Libraries Group, May 1996. (The last task force meeting occurred in the autumn of 1995. Its report was published nine months later.)

? Borghoff, U. M., Rödig, P., Scheffczyk, J., & Schmitz, L. (2003). Langzeitarchivierung: Methoden zur Erhaltung digitaler Dokumente. Heidelberg: dpunkt.verlag. xv, 283 pp. ISBN 3-89864-245-3. More details from dpunkt.verlag Web site, retrieved February 24, 2004, from: <http://www.dpunkt.de/buch/3-89864-245-3.html>http://www.dpunkt.de/buch/3-89864-245-3.html

Lynch, Clifford A. and Joan K. Lippincott, <http://www.dlib.org/dlib/september05/lynch/09lynch.html>Institutional Repository Deployment in the United States as of Early 2005, D-Lib Magazine 11(9), September 2005.

Westrienen, Gerard van, and Clifford A. Lynch, <http://www.dlib.org/dlib/september05/westrienen/09westrienen.html>Academic Institutional Repositories: Deployment Status in 13 Nations as of Mid 2005, D-Lib Magazine 11(9), September 2005.

Witten, Ian H. David Bainbridge, Chi-Yu Huang and Katherine J. Don, and Robert Tansley, <http://www.dlib.org/dlib/september05/witten/09witten.html>StoneD: A Bridge between Greenstone and DSpace, D-Lib Magazine 11(9), September 2005.

Best wishes, Henry

H.M. Gladney, Ph.D. <http://home.pacbell.net/hgladney/>http://home.pacbell.net/hgladney/ HMG Consulting

Richard L. Hess richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aurora, Ontario, Canada http://www.richardhess.com/