Re: [ARSCLIST] long-term storage options (was Requiem for the DAT (redux, was Storage of audio CDs)

At 09:50 AM 10/4/2005, John Spencer wrote:
While I will agree that widespread availability of material is a
viable methodology for dissemination, I was trying to point out that
for "preservation files" (typically either born-digital or migrated
at a higher sample rate than Redbook CD), one might wish to consider
another carrier for the data.

So far, I _think_ the best choices we have today for long-term preservation are:

(1) A managed digital archive (involving a mix of disk and tape)
(2) Gold CDs either as redbook or an ISO file system
(3) LTO Tape

Any other suggestions?

Supplemental migration of this data is
essential for preservation.

In (1), above, that is built in to the process In (2) and (3) above, it is a process that must be managed

The "operating system" for books hasn't changed very much over the
years, but the same cannot be said for computers.

True!

Cheers,

Richard

Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/