Re: [ARSCLIST] Pricing structures

I'm not sure I want to make my entire pricing structure public since we're all competitors -- friendly competitors, but competitors none the less.

However, I will suggest that the way I break down costs for clients is useful:

(1) Tape Preparation: this could be a lot of things from removing mold to adding leader to reshelling cassettes, tape heat treatments, chilling treatments, ascertaining track configuration and speed, etc. This varies a bit depending on the tape, but is usually about 10-15 minutes per tape. Mold drives this up, as does reshelling RCA cartridges that were left in the middle.

(2) Ingest into the computer: This is the cost of playing the tape into the computer system, assuming you're doing it that way. This is really time-based unless there is loss-of-lubricant, then it's a higher rate as I have to babysit it.

(3) Cleanup/Remastering/Prep for CD burning: This is the time spent processing the files in the computer and this is where the effort varies the most.

(4) Output media costs: This can be audio CDs, Data CDs, Data DVDs, Audio DVDs, FireWire drives, Internet Transfer, Reel tape, Cassettes

(5) Return Shipping: Rather obvious...not a profit centre, but look at your box costs, tape, postage, and the cost of my wife taking it to the post office.

Look at your hourly rate. Look at how much other stuff you can do while something else is happening. Look at how long each task takes and charge accordingly. I believe in a basic pricing structure that treats everyone the same.

I charge the same for a person's Bar Mitzvah tape as I did for the Princess Diana tapes. And it's often very difficult to figure out how much effort something is going to take in advance, and I give my clients a range, usually.

Cheers,

Richard

Now, my question: I've been asked by a small museum here in NH to
digitize a collection of 78s, open reels and LPs. Since I've never done
anything of this size the problem I'm having is "What to charge"? They
are working with grant money and want me to submit my estimate of how
much I think I can do with the money they have available. I can
estimate my time but how do you translate that into a price? How do you
all charge? By the hour, by the job? How?

Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/