Re: [ARSCLIST] reel-to-reel tape

Hello,

Well, back then on June 2nd of 1952, we here in America were also fascinated by the pomp and glamour of an attractive young princess taking her place on the British Royal throne.

One of my prized possessions is a three LP set on "His Master's Voice" from the Gramophone Company Limited (ALP 1056, 1057 and 1058) "recorded by direct line from the B.B.C. transmission". My only complaint was that the commentators, John Snagge and Howard Marshall, talked over some of the glorious choral music.

Yes, those were happier and kinder days!

Rod Stephens
Family Theater Productions

David Lennick wrote:

"Richard L. Hess" wrote:

That is interesting as the only other time I ran across Utah tapes
were on the reels as you described and they were from someone who
grew up in Montreal, so I had assumed it was a Canadian outfit
(despite it's name). One of the tapes he had me transfer was Queen
Elizabeth's Coronation in 1952 and although you indicated that the
unit had a radio in it, it sure sounded as if they had mic'd the radio.

Incidentally, the Coronation was in June 1953..I remember getting up to listen to it (when those things actually mattered to Canadians). It was also relayed by short wave. Solitaire Records in Toronto actually put out HM's Coronation Speech on a two-sided 78 in a souvenir envelope, taken off the short-wave broadcast.

(Meanwhile, the current Governor General is about to leave office, having
squandered thousands of dollars on pointless world tours, is about to publish her
memoirs, and is going to steal the limelight from the installation of the NEW
Governor General who's already in hot water for her dual citizenship, her marriage
to an alleged Separatiste, and the kerfuffle over her new gown being shown to the
public before she got to wear it. Any wonder I'm a tad cynical about the Monarchy
these days?)

dl