Re: [ARSCLIST] reel-to-reel tape

"Richard L. Hess" wrote:

> I'm curious about the history of Utah - was that a Canadian brand?
> They made both paper and plastic tape?

Utah Electronics was the manufacturer of the tape recorder, which was called a
"Magictape". Big clunky upright thing which included a radio, which was probably
the selling point since my folks were broadcasters and wanted to aircheck their
programs (that was my job once I turned seven). US company but they had a Canadian
branch, in Quebec. The machine came with a couple of reels of Scotch 100, provided
on their own reels (black or maroon plastic, 6 spoke, and slotted to fit only from
one side because the machine was full track anyway). Took B-wind tape and the
"erase head" was a permanent magnet which came down when you turned the "record"
switch.

Just googled "Magictape" and "Utah" and the only references to a tape recorder by
that name are a couple of old 78-L posts of mine, so maybe I dreamed the whole
thing. The last 55 years didn't happen.

dl