Re: [ARSCLIST] Metal Parts

I recently cleaned up an early Gramophone Company stamper of
nickel-plated copper, which had been coated in paraffin wax to prevent
tarnishing. Following able advice from Mark Hogan at the National Film
and Sound Archive in Australia, I placed the stamper in a 50/50 solution
of isopropanol and de-ionised water, bringing it up to a temperature of
70 degrees Celsius. The ridges (negative grooves) were lightly brushed
to loosen the melting wax, and afterwards the disc was rinsed in
isporopanol.

In consultation with the EMI Archive and others, after use the stamper
wasn't recoated, but placed between acid-free paper in a sealed
container for storage.

Will

Will Prentice
Technical Services
British Library Sound Archive          Tel: +44 (0)20-7412-7443
96 Euston Road                         Fax: +44 (0)20-7412-7416
London NW1 2DB                         http://www.bl.uk
UK            			         http://cadensa.bl.uk (online
catalogue)