Re: [ARSCLIST] Theremin, was [ARSCLIST] Unique record-related scents

Karl Miller wrote:

> Just encountered a Victor 78 featuring the theremin. I wondered if anyone
> knew if they issued many discs featuring the theremin. I had never
> encountered this disc before, but assume they released it since, as I
> recall, Victor sold theremin's at one time.
>
> Karl

Victor not only sold Theremin records (or tried to), they marketed the Theremin! Not
too successfully, it being the early years of the Depression. I don't think anyone
paid much attention to it till Rozsa used it in the soundtrack to "Spellbound", and
that was because he couldn't use the Ondes Martenot (the only person who could play
it was in occupied France at the time).

Capitol came out with an album with a sexy cover in the late 40s, "Music from Out of
the Moon", featuring original compositions by Harry Revel and the artistry of Samuel
J. Joffman (who'd played on the Spellbound soundtrack) and Les Baxter's orchestra and
chorus. "Music for Peace of Mind" followed, with Billy May conducting. Then on RCA
came the Perfume album, from which "Jet" became a popular single (and with lyrics, a
minor hit for Nat King Cole in 1951). As well, someone (I forget who) wrote a
concerto for Theremin and Orchestra, which Stokowski featured in the mid 40s
(soloist, Clara Rockmore, one of the Reisenbergs). There was a fascinating
documentary about the Theremin circulating about 10 years ago. More recently, Robert
Moog was building new Theremins..my brother has one.

dl