[ARSCLIST] Unique record-related scents

  This may be strange, but the recent thread about what open-reel tape could
smell like set me to thinking:

  Does anyone remember the special scent of the paper in Schwann catalogues
between about 1954 and 1961? It was unique. I love it. And the pungent scent of
Mercury LPs from that time? I remember that at the record store I patronized,
one always knew one was near the Mercuries because one could smell them. The
scent seemed to come from something used on their labels because when they
issued some Philips-licensed things beginning around 1961 (Richter, Mengelberg)
the records had the same unique, pungent scent.

  A pointless thing, probably. Sorry.

  Don Tait