To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] A tape Vinegar Syndrome experience

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, David Lennick wrote:

By the way, I picked up a number of used reels of Kodak tape (7", 1.5 mil
acetate) when CKEY disposed of them in 1970, and while I found them all to be a
bit curly and prone to breaking, I've never encountered that vinegary smell on
any of them.

Looking at my shelves, I see a lot of odd brands from the 60s..RCA (generally
considered to be pretty awful at the time, and I never hear anything about it
today), Sarkes Tarzian (even worse..the oxide kept coming loose from the
backing and winding itself around the capstan), Burgess (I don't think this
lasted too long), and American....best thing about their tape, which came in
odd lengths, was the ad showing Beethoven yelling "It's no use..I can't write a
1200-foot symphony!"

I have about a dozen reels of Kodak, which I bought new...just about every problem you have ever encountered...however, I wonder if Kodak actually made the tape. My guess is that someone on this list could probably provide a compilation of who made what... Irish Burgess Audiotape (much of which seemed to be like Scotch 111) Concertape (sold by Radio Shack) a wide variety of formulations...as a kid, all I could afford. Radio Shack brand (those red and white boxes) etc.

Was not Irish factory seconds of Scotch? And then there was the company
that recycled Ampex which I believe they said had been used by the
government?

Did not IBM in the early years use tape from 3M?

I don't recall that the Magnetic Recording Handbook has much history in
it...my copy is at home.

Does anyone know of a published history which would trace all of the
various manfacturers and brands?

Karl

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.10.21/96 - Release Date: 9/10/2005

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.10.21/96 - Release Date: 9/10/2005