Re: [ARSCLIST] (article) "Katina: state of NOLA historic documents; digital preservation, NOLA Library?"

>Interesting article at "Boing Boing" about archival materials in New
>Orleans:

 >  http://www.boingboing.net/2005/09/10/katina_state_of_nola.html

Just to clarify, that blog entry is not accurate. See message below,
posted to the archivists listserv.

Matt Snyder
Music Archivist
Wilson Processing Project
The New York Public Library

Date:    Fri, 9 Sep 2005 13:54:02 -0500
From:    Irene Wainwright <iwainwright@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Some good news from New Orleans

New Orleans Public Library is delighted to be able to announce that the
New
Orleans City Archives, which we hold, is relatively safe.  Although the
majority of our records (as well as the 19th and early 20th century
records
of the Orleans Parish civil and criminal courts) are housed in the
basement
of the Main Library, some 18 feet below sea level, the basement remained
essentially dry.  Wayne Everard , our archvivist, and I were able to get
access to the building yesterday, along with another NOPL staff member and
representative of Munters.  We discovered that the basement sustained NO
FLOODING, although there is a very small amount of water in one area,
possibly caused by sewer backup.  This water caused no direct damage to
records themselves.

The Main Library itself (across the plaza from city hall, about 4 blocks
from the Dome) came through almost unscathed.  Several windows blew out in

the area of our Technology Center causing quite a bit of damage there, but

the damage is confined to that closed in room.  There is also evidence of
very minimal roof leakage on the first floor -- most of it missing the
books.  On the whole, however, the Main Library is in excellent shape.
Earlier reports that vandals had entered the building are incorrect.  Our
branch run van was looted and we believe another van was stolen from the
parking lot, but it is clear that no one got into the building, either to
vandalize or to shelter there.

Irene Wainwright
Assistant Archivist, Louisiana Division/City Archives, New Orleans Public
Library