Re: [ARSCLIST] A tape Vinegar Syndrome experience

By the way, I picked up a number of used reels of Kodak tape (7", 1.5 mil
acetate) when CKEY disposed of them in 1970, and while I found them all to be a
bit curly and prone to breaking, I've never encountered that vinegary smell on
any of them. Just checked one that I've had stored under average conditions for
over 30 years..tight pack, no loose edges, no curl (no harsh irritants either,
and they're so easy on the draw). But now I wonder if the guy in the
illustration inside the box is looking at the tape to see which direction the
words "Eastman Kodak Co" are going or if he's about to sniff it.  I've also
used one of those 7" reels for takeup for decades..easy to thread and the sides
have never warped.

Looking at my shelves, I see a lot of odd brands from the 60s..RCA (generally
considered to be pretty awful at the time, and I never hear anything about it
today), Sarkes Tarzian (even worse..the oxide kept coming loose from the
backing and winding itself around the capstan), Burgess (I don't think this
lasted too long), and American....best thing about their tape, which came in
odd lengths, was the ad showing Beethoven yelling "It's no use..I can't write a
1200-foot symphony!"

dl