From: Mike Richter [mailto:mrichter@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2005 5:03 PM
To: ericj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: Changing speed and accordingly, pitch in
audio re-recording/editing: asking for help/advice

Eric Jacobs wrote:
> The consumer version of Sound Forge 6.0 does have a Resample function.
> In order to change pitch, you would have to select the "Change the Sample
> Rate only (do not resample)" option.  You can adjust the sample rate in
> 10 Hz increments, which should be fine enough for this work.  Of course,
> you'll have some non-standard sample rate at the end of the process, so
> after changing the sample rate to get the right pitch, you will then
> have to actually resample to some standard rate like 44,100 (CD) by
> simply deselecting the "Change the Sample Rate only" option.
>
> There is one gotcha - the consumer version is restricted to 16-bits
> and a maximum sample rate of 44,100 (they don't tell you that in the
> specs).  But this shouldn't be a problem for him.
>
> Sound Forge 6.0 is easy to use - my wife loves it for her media
> work and uses it all the time.  I tried re-pitching quickly with
> her copy of the software, and it all worked.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Eric Jacobs
> The Audio Archive
> http://www.TheAudioArchive.com

There is a better choice than resampling - better in that the quality is
higher and the processing time is lower. It was possible with CoolEdit,
but I've not been able to accomplish it with Audition. Still, in hope
that someone can find a tool which will do it, I offer the procedure I used.

1. Sample at an altered speed. For example, to record a 78 at 45, use
   45/78 x 44100 sps =25442.3 sps
That is possible with CDWAVE (linked from my site) and presumably with
other programs which do not force you to specific rates.

2. Change the extension to indicate raw PCM; RAW and PCM are typical
extensions.

3. Open as raw audio in your preferred program, setting the sample rate
to 44100 sps. This is the step that does not work for me in Audition.

4. Save the file as WAV.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx