[ARSCLIST] "Archival" DVD-R?

Hi --

Thanks to Richard Hess for making me aware of this very unique list.
Please forgive me if the topic of my question has already been covered.

I run a facility dedicated to multitrack analog to digital transfers:

http://www.sonicraft.com/a2dx

The majority of our smaller transfer jobs are delivered on DVD-R. I've
been "lurking" for a while and I know that the members of this list
understand that safeguarding our digital assets requires a lot more
involvement than writing files to a DVD-ROM and putting it up on a shelf
somewhere. However, the reality is that the DVD-ROMs I supply to my
clients will probably end up being their only backup. So, I want to do
all I can to ensure their long-term survival.

I was wondering if anyone in this group has any preference for /
experience with "archival" DVD-Rs. Will they really survive error-free
longer, or is this just marketing hype?

I'm also interested to know if there is any type of storage container or
storage practice that would enhance the reliability and / or longevity
of DVD-Rs.

Thanks,

-- Steve

Steve Puntolillo
Sonicraft Inc. - Analog and Digital Audio Services
http://www.sonicraft.com