Re: [ARSCLIST] "Archival" DVD-R?

Hello Steve

I was wondering if anyone in this group has any preference for
/ experience with "archival" DVD-Rs. Will they really survive error-free
longer, or is this just marketing hype?

I'm in the process of ramping up for an archiving project. Since there are no data for 10 year, 20 year, 50 year, or 100 year survival, it's basically guesswork. Two brands that seem to be well-regarded are Mitsui, which has just begun offering a "Gold Archival" DVD, and Verbatim. I plan to make two sets of the archive, one set to each of the two brands.

I'm also interested to know if there is any type of storage container or
storage practice that would enhance the reliability and / or longevity
of DVD-Rs.

Dunno about containers. I intend to use thin "jewel" boxes. Storage practices? A place in the dark, with heat & humidity as specified by the manufacturer. At the Mitsui America (M-AM) website you'll find their storage specs. You might want to put together a sheet with storage recommendations to be given to clients. It wouldn't hurt to provide them with two copies on two different brands.

Salutations, David Lewiston
The Lewiston Archive, Recordings and Documentation of the World's
Traditional Music