Re: [ARSCLIST] labeling tape boxes

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Snyder" <msnyder@xxxxxxxx>
> I have been doing a freelance archival processing/cataloging job for a
> retired producer who owns a substantial number of unique recordings in the
> form of 7" and 10" inch analog reels. After over a year of getting a
> handle on the papers in this collection, I've recently begun cataloging
> the recordings, and I've hit upon a problem of organization.  I'd like to
> assign unique numbers to each reel to assist in locating them, but I'm
> somewhat loathe to use any adhesive products on all these old boxes.
> Funding is basically nonexistent for this project (I'm only taking a token
> salary because it's a very important job), so buying or creating new tape
> boxes or enclosures for the boxes for a couple of hundred tapes just isn't
> an option.  Does anyone here have suggestions for a labeling product that
> doesn't cause TOO much damage to cardboard, but will last at least a few
> years until the collection can make its way to a repository? I know not to
> trust a manufacturer's assurances of "archival" quality, but I do trust
> that somebody on this list has tackled such a problem before.  Many thanks
> in advance!
First question...is there any archival reason why the original tape boxes
have to be preserved intact?

If there is, then each tape could be assigned an internal-use-only
number (for tracking) and that number could be either "adheed" to
the corresponding tape box or written on it with some type of
pen (using as little space as possible). The actual information
could be entered in a digital database in which the assigned
number is the Primary Key field. As far as a less-than-permanent
adhesive, try ordinary Scotch tape...which gradually yellows
and loses its stickiness, leaving little trace of having been there.

Note that the number would also have to appear in some form on
the tape reel, since there is no guarantee that the reel will
be returned to the correct box. If the tape is still recordable
and if there is space, the number could also be recorded in
spoken form at the beginning or end of the recording.