Re: [ARSCLIST] Barcodes for LPs in archival collections

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Jerry McBride wrote:

> What methods are archives using for inventory control of LPs? The LPs in
> our archive are re-sleeved in a polyethelene sleeve and then stored in the
> original cardboard LP jacket or box. The easiest way to keep track of these
> items in the automated library system would be to place a barcode on the
> outside of each jacket. However, there is some concern about the long-term
> preservation issues of putting an adhesive label on the item. How are other
> archives dealing with this?

I was overruled when I asked that no label be put on the jackets. Not only
will any label peel in time, it is likely that you will end up covering
part of the cover or the program notes. Say you have someone wanting to do
a book on record covers...and you have all of those labels obscuring the
cover art...well I suppose it doesn't matter as the "bibliographic"
records don't usually  give cover artists credit (still grinding away at
cataloging).

At least I was able to stop our administration from putting labels on
commercial CDs after the labels started peeling and taking the reflective
coating with them.

Karl