Re: [ARSCLIST] AV to DV - PC or Mac?

Having been a "Hollywood" motion picture editor for many years leading
into the digital revolution, I've seen NLEs (non-linear edit systems)
designed and used on both Macs and PCs through the years.  Each platform
has its devotees, but most of the choices have evolved around the
initial exposure by the editor to a specific system and/or the system
that has/her employer has made available.  All of the above editing
software/platforms do the job and have similar features.  Avid has made
most of the systems that are used in Hollywood today and is the ipso
facto standard, but the majority of its systems are PC based if I'm not
mistaken.  This also has to do with the hard drive database sharing
(digital motion picture and sound track) with multiple editors working
on the same project at the same time.  So, the software/hardware has to
be the same, of course.  Still, the Mac based Final Cut Pro is popular
with some people, but not to the extent of the Avid.

Rod Stephens
Family Theater Productions

Angie Dickinson wrote:

<snip>

FWIW, I've recently been told that Avid/Digidesign has been working on
migrating everything to PC.  Whether that is now their recommended
platform these days, I haven't been able to confirm.

Angie Dickinson
www.avocadoproductions.com
Arvada, CO

Klara Foeller wrote:

Dear Colleagues -

I'm at war with my supervisor on the subject of Macs vs. PCs when it
comes to digitizing analog audio & video.  He has a bias against Mac,
while all my periodical & on-line research, plus many consultations with
colleagues in media archiving, broadcasting and production, clearly
indicates that Mac is the strongly preferred system.

Please send ammunition.  Especially if you can quantify in $$$ and/or
lost productivity.  All apocryphal stories welcome.

Klara Foeller,
Curator, Moving Image & Sound Collections
Missouri Historical Society
314 746-4513