Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity of data tape?--

I specifically was referring to DAT. As an amateur, I only have very limited
experience with ADAT and none with DTRS or DASH. I have personal experience
with DAT, LTO, AIT and DLT used for data archival. The principle applies to
all of the above unless my understanding is mistaken.

As an example; say a track is archived to both DASH and LTO. After six
years, both are pulled out to restore the material (remastering, what have
you). For whatever reason (environmental problems, magnetic field exposure,
handling damage, oxide shedding, etc) both tapes are damaged and 5 feet of
tape is rendered useless. In the case of the DASH reel, only the material
contained in that segment of tape will be lost, the rest can be recovered.
In the case of the LTO tape, whatever file that section of tape contained is
lost in it's entirety. Were the LTO tape to contain separate files
representing the tracks on the DASH master, one entire track would be lost
as that file written to the area now damaged cannot easily be reconstructed
(or not at all if the material were compressed, encrypted, or both). Were
the LTO to contain one large file containing the separate tracks (say a Pro
Tools Macintosh Stuffit archive, necessary to preserve resource forks), the
entire project would be lost.

Obviously exceptions exist. I maintain that data archiving methods offer
greater data resilience; digital audio storage methods suffer less data loss
when damage results in unrecoverable errors.