Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity of data tape?--

----- Original Message -----
From: "Claus Trelby" <ctrelby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I am not giving anyone the solution to a problem... I'm trying to convey a
> mentality we all need to have... let's talk... let's learn from each
> other... and no matter how invested we are in a single technology in our
> practices or local studio, we have to understand that no solution is
perfect
> yet... more importantly we have to remember that it is OUR job in the
> archival industry to make it work...
>
> I hoping this email will give me (reveal) the perfect solution, but I'm
not
> holding my breath...
All I can do is relate a little "adventure" I had about five years ago.
A local musician had asked me to write ten blues songs, which he would
then record in his garage "studio." So, we had three live, analog-recorded
musicians...myself (hca/vocal), a guitarist and the local guy on keyboard.
The rhythm section was being created via MIDI and put on the same
reel-to-reel tape at the same time.

Fine...except, unbeknownst to him, the r2r deck was not running at a
consistent speed. When this happens, the pitch of the analog portion
varies...but the pitch of the MIDI portion doesn't! As a result, the
master tape (and, to a lesser extent, the resulting CD) sounds like the
live (analog) players are out of tune!