Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity of data tape?--

John,

As I know you're aware (I'm writing this to the others on the list, really,
not you), there is a huge difference between most of the "backup" tape
solutions that have been sold over the years and the enterprise-class tape
solutions like LTO. We definitely need clarification here.

However, as you are aware as well, the roadmap for LTO and AIT and S-AIT
make keeping a given format around much more than five years questionable,
I believe most of these formats will read back two generations and write
back one generation, but the space saving with a doubling of capacity per
generation makes you want to upgrade the library. The only downside of this
is it generates a lot of trash for the landfill and also costs some money,
but the upgrades are probably close to free compared to adding slots to the
robotic library system.

Cheers,

Richard