Re: [ARSCLIST] How to digitize LPs at home ?

This was my response I sent directly to Siue since I felt she was
looking for something simple and inexpensive:

Hello Siue,

Siue Moffat wrote:

Hi,
I have this extensive record collection (33/45/78) that I haven't
listened to in 2 years because I've been moving around a lot and I just
want to digitize some of them to listen on an mp3 player. This is by no
means archiving them (I consider them in their best format right now)!
It's only for listening purposes. And although in my past life I was a
sound editor, I am NOT PICKY about tunes on my mp3 player!
I'm a little confused tho, how to hook up my potential record player to
my computer.

O.K. "Record player" my be somewhat of a misnomer. What you need is a turntable that 's independent of any other equipment; most "record players" don't have (2 channel stereo) RCA or mini connectors outputs on the back for taking the signal out through an audio cable, to your computer in this case. Bigger more professional "Hi-Fi" amplifiers with attached turntables usually have outputs, and if you already had something like that, it would fill the bill. However, you do not, so you might find something at a garage sale, but an independent turntable would probably be a necessity one way or another.

At this point I don't even have a functioning player so
info on what kind of player I might be looking for is helpful too. I
don't want anything expensive. I'd rather buy some functioning player at
a garage sale and some how hook that into my lap top/desktop. BOth my
computers are not fancy - the only Ins are mini. Shareware suggestions
are also very useful.

The ladies at Garage 'a Records sell a 3 speed battery operated
turntable (easy to put anywhere) with a built in amplifier (preamp
actually) for $99.95 with outputs (headphone and standard "line out for
recording").  It even has a loudspeaker with tone and volume controls.
It's the Numark PT-01, but you'll see an 888 toll free telephone number
to call for more information.  They are very knowledgeable and helpful.
The price doesn't include shipping, but that seems to be no more than
$10 maximum.  I must say it's what I would call "cute".  It even has a
pitch control.

We've bought professional equipment from them, too, which they supported
after purchase, so they are no "fly by night" outfit.

This is the link to their web site:
http://www.garage-a-records.com/index.php

I hope this is of help.

Rod Stephens