They also recorded a 10 inch disc, several years before, but I don't
have that one.

Bob Hodge

----- Original Message -----
From: "steven austin" <stevena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> While we're wondering about that one...would anyone know what the
> current last commercially-released 78RPM pressing in the US might
have
> been?
> The last one I saw was "Mr. Bojangles/Uncle Charlie Interview No 2 &
> Spanish Fandango" by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band on LIBERTY 56197
> (LB-2889/2890-78) from 1970.
One wonders if these late, pressed-on-vinyl, 78's should actually be
considered "commercial 78's!" Latest 78 I've run across is an Atlantic
issue by Ray Charles...forget the A side but the B was "Let the Good
Times Roll." This was a Canadian issue, but I suspect it was on 78
in the US as well. I think Chess also pressed 78's into early 1960.

As far as items like the one in the post above, there have been a
handful of these special-issue items. I think there were four sides
released under Joe Venuti's name that appeared on late 78, and I
think a band led by "R. Crumb," the cartoonist, released a late 78
or two. Sadly, I can't recall the details.

The latest 78 I own is an experimental/promotional issue by RCA
Canada, probably dated from 1968. It features mono and stereo
variants of a side (stereo 78!) and apparently was part of a
two-disc set which also had a "quad" side (unknown if that was
78rpm!).